Welcome to a new year. Now that it is 2018, I wanted to dedicate my first blog of the year to Trump’s first year as president. As we all know, 2017 was a crazy year in politics, especially regarding President Trump. I’m going to kick it off by going back to presidential primaries and give my thoughts on Trump at the time. I’m going to start off by saying that I didn’t care for Trump during the primary election. Originally he was my third choice for President, my first was Ben Carson. Don’t get me wrong, I did like his campaign promises, I just didn’t like him as a candidate at the time. Of course when it came to general election in November I voted for Trump, mostly to keep Hillary out, and it worked, although I was still a little sceptical about him at the time. Flash forward over a year later, let’s just say that I’m glad I voted for Trump because he has actually been more conservative, especially in the last 1-2 months, then I thought he was going to be.
Now, what im going to do is separate all the good Trump has done in his first and then some of the bad.
As I said before, President Trump has really been more conservative in his first year than I originally thought. Here is a list of the good things he has done. (I’ll add more if there is more, I don’t remember everything)
- Tax cuts: Trump passed a tax cut for corporations, which will over time create more jobs. As well as tax cuts individual Americans.
- Rise in GDP
- Recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moved the embassy to there.
- Cutting unecessary regulations
- Travel ban
- Working on stopping the Iran deal
- Supports 2nd amendment
- Appointed good number conservative judges
- Dumping Bannon
- Pulling out Paris climate agreement
- Virtually eliminating ISIS
Here is a link to a list of good things he has done. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-10-best-things-trump-has-done-in-his-first-year-in-office/2017/12/27/c79ce93c-ea7e-11e7-9f92-10a2203f6c8d_story.html?utm_term=.8dfb4eb010c8
As with any other President, Trump has flaws. Here is a list of the not so good things Trump has done. Keep in mind that this is a relatively shorter list and really has nothing to do with his policy.
- Twitter: I think we can all agree the president does have a twitter problem, which is one of the main things that has hurt him. I admit that some of his tweets are hilarious, but other times I wish he would shut up. Like Ben Shapiro said, if he would limit his twitter usage, his approval ratings would go up.
- Rhetoric: this does tie in with his Twitter so there is not really much separation.
- Failing to condemn the alt-right white supremacists at Charlottesville: while I do agree both are to blame, it was the alt-right folks who started the whole situation, and I think Trump should have condemned them individually.
That about wraps up bad Trump.
Like I said, Trump over all has done a great job as president and I’m happy I voted for him. I just hope that he continues like this for the next few years, and if he does, he will definitely win in 2020. The grade I would give President Trump is a solid A-.
On the good, you mentioned the tax cut for corporations, but, failed to mention the tax cuts included cuts for all Americans. and they are all American tax cuts.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Just fixed it, thanks for the reminder to add that.